Thursday, October 16, 2008

This Is Not What I Expected (3 Days Until Race Day)

Well, I've made my fundraising goals, I've started packing for San Francisco, and I am trying to figure out the best way to tape my foot for my race. I am excited about my trip--San Francisco is a great city, I'll get to see some friends I haven't seen in a while, and Andrew is coming down to watch my race (and tape my foot, lucky him).*

However, I am frustrated and apprehensive. I spent months training, hoping to maintain a certain pace and get a certain finish time. Based on my training, I was on pace to do around 2:10 for my first half-marathon (just under 10 minutes a mile for the 13.1 miles). Not bad for a girl who could barely run two miles in May. Unfortunately a wrecked foot is going to really inhibit my time, and I may not even be able to run. I probably, really, should not run. I did an easy 3-miler on Friday night (October 10) that was decently uncomfortable. I need to run more than 4x the distance on Sunday.

But, I signed up for this race not for me but on behalf of Team in Training and the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. The race was always about more than me. It was about raising money for cancer research, being part of something bigger than myself, and being inspired by cancer survivors, including Jan Giesa, my Aunt Alice, my two sisters Jen and Wendy, and Kitty Janssen. It was also a tribute to my late aunt Shirley and my late grandmother Mary, both of whom lost their battles with cancer.

It's my understanding that race weekend for TNT participants is an emotional event. We have a pre-race pasta dinner (are you surprised?) where our fundraising efforts are lauded, and we learn what our dollars are doing to help battle cancers. Apparently, along the Nike course in San Fran, cancer patients and survivors are cheering on those of us wearing the TNT purple jerseys. I will be one of those people--no matter how long it takes me to cross that finish line.

*Andrew is getting his doctorate in physical therapy. He needs the practice.

No comments: