Saturday, August 23, 2008

Things That Are Worse Than Shin Splints (Run 75--Long Run)

Surely, I can think of several: (1) root canals*, (2) any movie starring Paris Hilton, (3) dropping the baton while trying to qualify for the relay finals at the Olympics**, (4) Nascar, and (5) the 2007-2008 Notre Dame football season.

But, for me, the only thing worse than shin splints (which I seem to now have), is the treatment of shin splints. I'm not talking about stretching, or even basic icing--neither of those is really bad. What I am referring to is the ice bath. It is exactly what it sounds like--a bath in water either filled with ice or water as cold as your tap will release. This is, according to several legitimate sources,*** the best way to heal aching muscles and treat shin splints.

Thursday's run with the Irish left me feeling very sore--mostly in my left shin. Sure, I probably overdid it a bit trying to keep pace with others while running the River Loop, but I didn't expect an "injury" 15 weeks into my training. Still, I stretched and iced Thursday night and Friday night, and tried to get as hydrated as possible for a hilly long run (of about 6 miles) this morning. The run, while successful in the sense that I finished it (while actually running), was painful. I knew my best bet was to get into the ice bath. As I didn't have any actual ice, I just went the faucet route. I turned the cold nob all the way up, and brace myself as I eased into the frigid water, my body still warm and sweaty from just completing my run. It was painful, and it probably took me a minute to get into the water that was navel-high while seated in the tub.****

It was the longest five-minutes of my life, but I am currently rocking stilettos with little soreness in my left shin, so it was probably worth it. Let's hope my recovery run tomorrow goes well.

*I have pretty serious allergies to most "good" pain killers. Trust me, treating a route canal with extra-strength Aleve from the store shelf is miserable.

**I do not think this was the fault of either Tyson Gay or Lauryn Williams (the 4th legs in the men's and women's 4x100m, respectively). The tape doesn't lie--and Darvis Patton and Torri Edwards maybe should have made sure Gay and Williams actually had the baton in hand before they let go of it.

***I believe all of these legit sources are also sadists.

****Let's just say that the feet and legs were easier to submerge than more "delicate" portions of my anatomy.

No comments: