Sunday, July 5, 2009

6 to 7 Miles of Music

Saturday's training run was "six to seven miles" at a long, slow run pace (1-2 minutes slower than your desired race pace). I almost always run with my iPod, and I take great pleasure in making running mixes. I am always asking friends for running music suggestions; it's interesting to see what motivates different runners. Saturday morning's playlist was a massive playlist called "IRunThis" (original, I know). It's an ever-growing, ever-changing list to which I always add, generally while I'm listening to a shuffle of my master iTunes library at work. Once I listen to a song from the IRunThis playlist, it gets transferred into the Used-Run playlist and deleted from the IRunThis playlist (I am really not that anal retentive, I swear). If I really love a song these days, it gets added to my slowly growing Portland Marathon Official playlist. Portland, unlike many other big marathons, actually allows and even encourages runners to use headphones, MP3 players, etc.

Saturday's run included the following:

(1) "Tick Tick Boom" by The Hives. This was formerly my previous Nike+ "PowerSong," my go to song when a run got hard, and I wanted to quit. The Hives are a Swedish band that tend to dress all the same (in black and white suits), and their front man, Howlin' Pelle Almquist, is full of showmanship, bravado, and a huge dose of (feigned?) ego. They put on an amazing live show, and "Tick Tick Boom" is a high-energy song with a chorus that includes the lines: "I've done it before/And I can do it some more." That's a long run mantra if I have ever heard one.

(2) "The Rockafeller Skank" by Fatboy Slim. I have no idea why this song has this title. I don't think any of those 3 words appear anywhere in the song. Most people would recognize this song as the "Funk Soul Brother" song or the "Right About Now" song. Again, high energy, this song is "electronic" or "techno" or "dance"--it was not my favorite running song, but probably the fact that the Ross character from "Friends" talked about this song (and maybe sang it?) in an episode has killed it for me.

(3) "You and Dat" by E-40. As this is a family, friendly blog, I'll leave comments about this song to myself. I will, however, mention that the "Dat" modifies a body part that benefits greatly from lots of running--definitely motivating.

(4) "Swagga Like Us" by T.I. feat. Jay-Z, Kanye, and Lil Wayne. This song is a bit too slow for running, but the song that T.I. and company raps over/samples--"Paper Planes" by M.I.A.--is a great running song.

(5) "Whoo! Alright, Yeah...Uh Huh" by The Rapture. I think the title speaks for itself. This is a running song.

(6) "U.R.A.Q.T." by M.I.A. This song is crazy, but a fun song for running. Actually, a fun song, period. The title is pronounced by reading each letter individually. I downloaded this song after reading about it on the brilliant blog "Things I Bought That I Love" created by Mindy Kaling from "The Office." Incidentally, if you like things and buying things and well, laughing, read this blog (http://thingsiboughtthatilove.com/).

(7) "You Dropped a Bomb on Me" by The Gap Band. A great 80's song. Not a great 80's running song.

(8) "You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)" by Dead or Alive. A great 80's song. A great 80's running song. A song that has been sampled greatly by Flo Rida to create a completely different song.

(9) "4 Minutes" by Madonna featuring Justin Timberlake and Timbaland. I love Madonna. I love Timberlake. I love Timbaland. That's all that needs to be said.

(10) "Straight Outta Compton" by NWA. Why is this on my playlist? Why isn't it on your playlist?

(11) "With Love" by Hilary Duff. I may be ashamed of walking; I may be ashamed of failure and quitting; I am not ashamed to admit I love this song by Hilary Duff.

(12) "Can't Stop, Won't Stop (Remixed Vers.)" by Young Gunz feat. Chingy. Again, it's all in the title.

(13) "Whoomp! (There It Is)" by Tag Team. Embarrassing? Yes. Motivating? Hell yes. This song was a total pick me up on the last part of my long run.

(14) "Vans (Remix)" by The Pack. "Yeah, yeah I'm in my zone." Lyrics to motivate.

(15) "Wait a Minute (Just a Touch)" by Estelle. Estelle's entire album, Shine, is great for running, save a couple of slow tracks.

(16) "Too Shy" by Kajagoogoo. See number (8), above (exclude references to Flo Rida).

(17) "This is How I Disappear" by My Chemical Romance. Loud, aggressive. Just what you need those last few hundred yards.

(18) "Whatever U Like" by Nicole Sherzinger feat. T.I. This song always gets me going, always.

2 comments:

John at Hella Sound said...

LOL you get extra bonus points for trying to run to the Gap Band. Maybe their song "Party Train" would have worked better?
No, I don't think so, either.

NWA, however, is pure genius. We must not forget that Eazy-E is "a brother that'll smother your mother, and make your sister think I love her."

If you feel inspired, I would be flattered if our music made its way into your playlist for a test run. Pardon the cheesy product plug, but I think we make good stuff :)
Hella Sound Running Music.

Robin Haynes said...

John...I did a quick check of your website. I'm going to add some of your music for my Sunday run, and I'll report back on it.

Interestingly, my "music" posts have gotten a decent amount of feedback from both acquaintances & non-acquaintances.

The Gap Band was purely a mistake based on a recent rash of 80's music downloads. It's been removed from any running playlist!