Saturday, July 11, 2009

Treat Your Feet

Today was long run day--as will be every Saturday between now and Portland. Running wrecks your feet. Callouses, blisters, broken toenails, dryness...and, I have heard that black toenails are very common closer to the race and during the race.* I also live in high heels.** Finally, summer has hit Spokane, and it's dry and hot.

The bottom line: my feet are gross.

I will paint my toenails and put lotion on my feet (sporadically), but I kind of neglect my feet.*** Not today. Today, I received a pedicure. Pedicures are pure pampering: foot massage, scrubs, lotions, and for me, hot pink toenail polish. I rarely get them, but this might change, since my two neglected feet are getting me through my Portland Training. I have only missed 1 run in the last 4 weeks of training (if you're counting, it means that I have completed 19 training runs, as my training schedule includes five days of running). My feet are responsible for helping me meet my current and, it seems, long-term love: running. I'll be going back in a few weeks to treat them again.

*Word on the trail is that the pressure and friction of long runs can lead your toenails to turn black and sometimes fall off. I have seen it on other runners' feet. Not pretty.

**I don't want to hear that high heels are bad for me. I know they are. I don't care. I do not have very many vices. They are pretty; they make barely 5'2" me taller; they can be the pop of color a dull, conservative outfit needs; and, as someone who thinks I have great style (not me) recently said , "they are sexy." These sexy shoes are from Michael Kors, and they are shown with my pretty, prink, post-pedicure toes.

***This is in stark contrast to the amount of money and time I spend on skincare for my face. Sunscreen (every single day no matter what), lotions, scrubs, masks, eye creams...I have and use them all.

No comments: