Friday, July 24, 2009

Blister In The Sun (Race & Stilettos Don't Mix)

Last Saturday morning, I ran a small, local 8K race. It was a pretty slow time for a just-under-five-mile run, because about halfway through, a blister on the ball of my right foot burst.

I am pretty religious in my application of Body Glide/Sport Block to my feet. I wear running shoes that are right for my gait/running needs/pronation/foot shape. I wear moisture-wicking, run-specific, left/right socks. I also wear stilettos.

Friday I wore a gorgeous, nautical-inspired pair of BCBG Max Azria heels. They are tenuously held onto my feet by two small rope/twine straps--one just over my toes and the other at my ankle. They are 4 inches tall, and they lack in padding, but are very well constructed. They are fine at the office, at dinner, or really any place where walking is not really involved. They are not fine for a walk home in the heat, while carrying a tote full of stuff that has accumulated at my office all week.

Bottom line: I had a quarter-sized blister on my right foot that evening, which was still there Saturday morning.

I taped the blister up as well as I could and hoped for the best. I could feel it stinging as I started the race, and I definitely felt it burst (I think I even heard it). I didn't quit; I just kept going at the best pace I could maintain, knowing that I would literally have to peel my sock off of my oozing right foot once the race ended.

I spent the weekend with a heavily-taped up right foot (which looked lovely with my black heels and black dress on Saturday night when I attended a bachelorette party), covering a now half-dollar sized blister.

And, today is Friday. I am in heels. I will not be walking home in them.

1 comment:

Devon said...

You should start adding photos of your heels/war wounds when you get them. Really, I would love to see both(obviously more so the BCBG heels than the blister, but I'd take either I'm a picture book kind of gal these days!)!