Tuesday, May 20, 2008

1 down, 22 to go

The Nike Marathon is in October, so for me to be able to run 13.1 miles--in a row--I need ample training time. My training schedule includes approximately 23 weeks of training, running 5 days per week each training week. The training is based on time v. distance (for example, I may have to run 30 minutes as opposed to 3 miles). The first 7 weeks of training are the "easy" runs, where I should be able to complete my run and still feel as if I could continue to run further and faster.

The easy concept is fine when I run by myself. However, that type-A+ personality of mine can't really handle the easy run concept when running with others. Case in point, running with the Flying Irish, with the training group, or last Sunday with Chad. Now, I know I have limitations in running, but I will find myself trying to maintain pace or lap others, if only because I need to compete. However, as Jackie just told me, "Run your own race." I may need to write this on my hand next time I run in a group.

That said, I completed my first week of training on Saturday--with five runs of around 30 minutes each. All runs were fine (some faster than "easy" and some that include more hills than "easy" called for). Week 1's runs were fueled by: Propel Endurance Water, breakfast at Madeleine's (post-run), and the following artists on my iPod: Pat Benatar, Mary J. Blige, Motley Crue, Lily Allen, Saul Williams, Jamiroquai, George Michael, The All-American Rejects, Beck, Duran Duran, Rihanna, The Bravery, Amy Winehouse, Lupe Fiasco, Moby, Plain White T's, Nas, Chingy, The Roots, Janet Jackson, The Prodigy, Consequence, Justin Timberlake, The Rapture, The Chemical Brothers, Kelly Clarkson, The Bangles, Danger, Poison, Jay-Z, Guns N' Roses, and Fergie.

No comments: