Thursday, May 22, 2008

Water Hazard

I continue to battle getting out of bed for morning runs, so last night I ran right after work. Since my office is right across the street from Riverfront Park, I figured I would go run on the trail around the river. The Spokane River is running very high and very fast, due to our long, snowy winter and cold spring. The heat just came out of nowhere (and has since disappeared), so flooding is a real issue here.

I ran along the south side of the river, and turned by Gonzaga. As I approached where the trail dips under the Division Street bridge by the River Inn Hotel, there were cones and barricades and signs saying that the trail may be washed out. I decide to check, and sure enough, that portion of the trail was covered with probably 3-6 inches of water. I figured that getting swept over the falls wouldn't be good for my training, so I headed up the stairs to Division and headed back to the the other side of the river.

Apparently, the portion of the Centennial Trail where I had my team practice last Saturday (May 17) is completely washed out--it was dry but for one spot just a week ago.

Last night's run featured music by: AC/DC, The Chemical Brothers, Mary J. Blige, Motley Crue, Jedi Mind Tricks, Alkaline Trio, and Common.

No comments: