Tuesday, May 27, 2008

What is an easy run (Run 12)?

This morning I managed to get out of bed early and run at 6 a.m. Getting out of bed early was helped by the fact that my friend Luke was going to run with me. Luke and his sister Devon (my best friend) are both natural athletes, so even though Luke has not been running quite as much as usual, he is still a considerably better runner than I. I'll admit, I was a little concerned that he'd think, "Wow. She's a little slow. Does she really think that she can RUN a half-marathon?"

Luke graciously agreed to run at my pace, and I tried to maintain a decent pace for the easy run scheduled for today (but not so easy that Luke had to walk). Although my footfalls and breathing got pretty heavy and loud towards the end, I managed to stay a few seconds back from Luke the entire time (despite the fact that I don't think he was even sweating). Since I am relatively new to running, this was for me a good run. Earlier this year, I'm certain that I would have had to walk and/or give up--the little accomplishments really keep you motivated.

According to everything that I've read and been told, an easy run is one during which you can have a conversation. There was certainly some talking, but it got less and less as the time wore on during the run. It's really a challenge for me to want to continue doing something at which I am not the best. Maybe running will help take my ego down a notch or two.

Luke did add that if I keep up the running, I'll get addicted. I can't imagine that being a bad thing, and it should be considerably less expensive than my Nordstrom addiction.

No comments: