Saturday, May 31, 2008

Three Weeks Down, and I end in stitches...

Truly I did not end my run today all stitched up--I actually ended up with a side stitch. I'm fairly certain it's a combination of starting out too fast and wearing too much clothing while running. As has been a theme of these posts, my type-A+ personality really interferes with my ability to do things at which I am not good. As I am a very new runner, I have a hard time recognizing that right now, this is my pace, and it will only improve with time and effort. I didn't expect to be setting world records, but I had hope to be a bit faster.

That said, I have finished all my runs (save number 13), and from May 11, 2008 through today, I ran for a total of 7 hours, 13 minutes, and 51 seconds. This is considerably more time* than I will spend running the half-marathon course in October.

Back to the stitch--I don't think I've ever quite experienced that stabbing/can't breathe sensation that a side stitch brings. Thanks to a teammate (that I don't yet know by name) and my mentor, Marianne, for stopping to help me get my breath and get back running. Next week, I'll try to start out slower and dress more appropriately for the weather.

Finally, in three weeks, I have raised $535** towards my goal of $4,000. I really appreciate everyone who has donated so far. I've gotten a couple of apology notes with some donations from people saying they were sorry that they couldn't donate more. Please don't apologize--every donation of every size helps towards the goal of curing blood cancers.

* I certainly hope that I will be running the half-marathon in under 7 hours!
** Donations can take a few weeks to show up on my fundraising page (located here: http://pages.teamintraining.org/wa/nikesf08/rhaynes, so the total there is not always accurate to date).

No comments: