Friday, May 23, 2008

The Apple Loop (Training Run 9)

Last night I ran with the Flying Irish Running Club, which meets at O'Doherty's every Thursday night at 5:45 p.m. to run at 6. They have a variety of 3-ish mile routes with everything from runners to walkers (and people with pets and children participating). There's no fee, you just have to show up and run. Apparently, if you run 6 times, you get a Flying Irish T-shirt. It is my understanding that to get "shirted" you must stand on the bar at O'Doherty's and tell a joke. I'm not sure if the joke needs to be an Irish joke or not. I have 3 runs to go until I get "shirted," so send me your jokes!

The Irish run last night was the "Apple Loop," which has to do with a program at Garfield Elementary and not the shape of the loop. It was drizzling during the run, but I kind of like that. The one drawback of the Irish runs is that they are primarily through town, so you often have to stop at corners and crosswalks to wait for traffic. So, if you're really worried about timing your pace, you'll have to take that into consideration. I treat it as a nice breather and nothing else.

9 training runs down, 115 to go! Last night's run featured the music of: Lily Allen, Duran Duran, Alkaline, Prince, Fergie, The All-American Rejects, Poison, Guns N' Roses, and Jay-Z.

No comments: