Thursday, June 12, 2008

A Great Playlist (Run 23)

The road racing world has been shaken up a bit by the issue of wearing headphones while running. Some races have outright banned the use of headphones while running. The reasoning behind the ban varies, but includes safety. Sure, safety while running solo can be affected by how loud your music is (you can't hear cars as well on city streets, you may not hear the roar of a cougar barrelling down on you, etc.), but in a huge race--such as the Boston Marathon, I doubt wearing headphones raises as much of a safety concern--roads are shut down to traffic, it's highly unlikely there will be a wild animal on the lose, everyone's an experienced runner (as you have to qualify for Boston). I've heard that the issue is more one of insuring a race v. actual safety concerns. Several organizations are re-visiting the issue.

I cannot imagine running for any considerable distance without music--and given that every road race of any notable size has music playing from speakers or actual bands along the course--I am not alone. Why shouldn't I be able to choose what I listen to while running? Of course, I always have music playing--at work, at home, on car rides, etc.

I am always searching for the right running music. While I love R.E.M., for example, it doesn't make for good running motivation (except maybe the "Monster" album). On the other hand, "Appetite for Destruction" has quite a few run-worthy tracks. This is what yesterday's playlist included:

(1) "Put You On Game," Lupe Fiasco. Lupe is one of my favorite hip-hoppers of all-time. While many of his more creative tracks are a bit too slow for running, this song is a great warm-up track.

(2) "I'm Not Okay (I Promise)," My Chemical Romance. MCR's theatrical sound translates well into running. Considering many people think going out and running for 13.1 miles (or even 1 mile) is crazy, this song is perfect.

(3) "Don't Stop The Music," Rihanna. Sure, this song is nothing special or original, but it's a good, dancey track that keeps you moving.

(4) "Feedback," Janet Jackson. I'm not a huge fan of Janet, but the beat of this track really powers you through the middle portion of a run.

(5) "You Give Me Something," Jamiroquai. Jay Kay of Jamiroquai sounds like a young Stevie Wonder, and 95% of their songs are great dance tracks with a pulsing, steady beat. Perfect for any cardio workout.

(6) "I Can," Nas. This song about working hard for your dreams helps with the motivation during the last portions of your run when you want to quit.

(7) "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough," Michael Jackson. Old school MJ is classic.

(8) "Steve McQueen," Sheryl Crow. Clearly, my musical tastes are everywhere. Crow's track is a great way to end a workout.

No comments: