Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Treadmill is My Enemy (Run 22)

Given that it was all of 47 degrees in Spokane yesterday (and it snowed in Airway Heights), I was forced to do my 40 minute training run indoors at the gym. I haven't run on a treadmill in months, as the cardio wall in Oz Fitness has several tvs (with the closed captioning turned on) and as I am never without my iPod, I figured it couldn't be that bad.

It was awful. The actual running was fine. I made sure to up the pace and incline to better mimic an outdoor run, but the 40 minutes seemed like forever without a change in scenery. I found myself staring blankly at "30 Minute Meals" with Rachel Ray. She is considerably more palatable with the sound off, and not once did the closed captioning read "E-V-O-O," or any other Ray-ism. However, it was still torturous watching her make the least appetizing mac-and-cheese I had ever seen that did not originate in a box.

Still, I got the run done, and even tried a new gel--the ClifShot. I didn't need the nutrition for a 40-minute run, but I am testing them for the actual race, when I will need the carbs. So, I downed one with water 15 minutes before the run. The flavor was fine, and I didn't notice any GI stress during my run. However, my stomach was upset for most of the evening after my run, so I may not be having any more ClifShots. So far, Carb Bomb is the clear favorite.

No comments: