Saturday, June 28, 2008

Trust the Training Schedule (Runs 34 & 35)

Run 34 was schedule for Thursday (June 26). I worked a long day, so I planned on running Friday morning (even though my long run was scheduled for Saturday morning--usually Friday is a rest day). I ended up running in 80 degree heat, Friday night, battling the Hoopfest set-up crowd (which included a set of guys in matching jumpsuits who appeared to be closely watched while they worked). The run itself was not too bad, but in a desire to go out to dinner, I ended up barely stretching, and I didn't hydrate well enough post-run.

I slept later than I planned on Saturday (I was not intending to go to team practice this week), so I couldn't run through the park and downtown, as it was covered with basketball courts and around 200,000 people. So, I ran down Riverside towards People's Park and over into Peaceful Valley. The route was very hot and very hilly, and I struggled to maintain a decent pace. It was around 85 degrees. I managed to get in 54 minutes of running, according to Nike+.* I did stretch and hydrate after, but I would not count that as a quality run.

*I alternate between a pair of Asics and a pair of Sauconys. I bought two little pouches from Grantwood Technology so that I could use the Nike+ sensor with my iPod and not run in Nikes. The pouches lace to your shoes and seem to work great. They are around $6, and they are available on Amazon.

No comments: