Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Hills is not just a bad "reality" show (Run 32)

This morning I entered the "strength phase" of my training. For the last six weeks, I have run five days per week, with long runs on Saturday mornings. The strength phase differs from the "base phase" with its addition of hill and tempo workouts. This morning was my first "hill workout."

My training materials tell me that I am to warm up, and either run an overall hilly course or add 4-8 hill repeats in the middle of my workout, and then cool down (for a total of 40 minutes). I created a "modified" version of this plan, running on a flat route for 10ish minutes, and then doing 10 short hills (running hard up and walking/jogging down). I ran short stretches of road/sidewalk between the hills, and then I ran about 8 minutes at a normal pace to finish the workout. I was moderately impressed with my own running abilities this morning, at six a.m.

I had created a specific playlist for this morning's run, which I neglected to load onto my iPod. So, I played some random tunes from my "RunnerGrrl" general playlist. This morning's hill workout was fueled by: "Put Your Hands Up," Black and White Brothers; "Battle Without Honor or Humanity," (from the Kill Bill soundtrack); "Faint," Linkin Park; "Under the Knife," Rise Against; "Knock 'Em Out," Lily Allen; "Baby Did a Bad Bad Thing," Chris Isaak; "Liar Liar (Burn in Hell)," The Used; "Sabotage," The Beastie Boys; "Hospital," The Used; "Drama Queen," Switches; "Dance, Dance," Fall Out Boy; "Supermodel," Jill Sobule; "Since U Been Gone," Kelly Clarkson; "Ch-Check It Out," The Beastie Boys; and "In Da Club," 50 Cent.

No comments: