Friday, June 13, 2008

Tough Ladies

It's not a secret that I am running, in part, for Jan Giesa. Jan is currently in remission after an aggressive course of chemo to treat non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Since TNT works to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (which works to eradicate blood cancers), it made sense to run for someone who had successfully battled a blood cancer. Her treatments were the result of years of advancement and research, funded in large part by the efforts of TNT participants like me, who have raised $850 million in 20 years.

The treatments, medicines, and therapies LLS has created through the years have helped significantly in the battle against other cancers as well. So, I am also running for my Aunt Alice Haave, who successfully battled breast cancer a few years ago; and for Kitty Janssen, a sassy lady who also beat breast cancer in the last few years; and for my sisters Jennifer and Wendy who have taken on and beaten cervical cancer. I am also running for my late grandmother Mary Lesniewski, who passed away after a battle with breast and brain cancer and for my Aunt Shirley Lesniewski, who lost her battle with ovarian cancer.

I don't know anyone who hasn't been touched by some kind of cancer. When you donate towards my $4,000 goal, I'll gladly run for your family, friends, and loved ones as well.

No comments: