Monday, July 14, 2008

All I Needed Was a Little Ego Boost (End of Week 9)

Week 9 was an up and down of emotion and ability, which started off with my bad run that ended Week 8.* Week 9 ended with our long team run (Run 45) at 6 a.m. on Saturday morning on the Centennial Trail by SFCC (very, very hilly). I ended up running the first 30 minutes of my supposed-to-be 60** minute run with a girl that I had gone to high school with, Heather Butner, formerly Heather Silvey. Heather was always a star athlete and sprinter in both high school and college. There was no way I could ever have kept pace with her in high school. She and I knew of each other, but never really knew one another during that time. She was always very friendly, and I knew she was one hell of a runner.

So, Saturday morning, bright and early, I find myself running with--and keeping up with--Heather on a very hilly course, very early in the morning on Saturday.*** Now, I understand that sprinting and distance running are two very different creatures (Heather even commented as much), but for me to keep pace with someone I'd always considered a strong, fast runner really changed my bad-attitude that had dominated the end of Week 8 through a good part of week 9. Thanks, Heather!

In addition to be able to keep pace with a good runner, I get a little ego boost every team practice by finishing first. This is not because I am the fastest (far from it--I think that Aileen Laughlin, my friend Meg's little sis may be the fastest out there--and the fastest woman at the least), but because I run with the people who are completing a full marathon. They are running almost twice the distance that I am during our long runs to prepare themselves for the twice-as-long race in October (26.2 miles v. 13.1 miles). During practice we all run out in the same direction and turn around based on what our race distance is (half or full marathon) and what our pace is (over or under the 12-minute-mile mark). The half-marathoners running under a 12-minute-mile (that would be me, and...me) have to run for the least amount of time during out team runs.

So, I get to turn around sooner. Now, I know that many of my team members and coaches realize that I am a "halfer," but I can tell by the looks on some of my teammates faces (mostly the walkers) that not everyone realizes this. The coaches always give us a max turn around point for the runs, as in, even if your reach mile marker x before you are supposed to turn around (based on your time limits), turn around anyway (and add distance to the other end point of your run). I think some of these other teammates assume that I have reached the max turn around point at mile x, and that I have turned around to head back--very quickly. Sometimes I'll say some encouraging words to those teammates that I am passing in the opposite direction and let them know that I am a "halfer," but sometimes I just let them think that this short, 30-year-old girl who claims to be a "new runner" is just a natural.

*See my earlier posting, "Running Just Might be a Pearl Izumi Ad."

** The trail is a bit confusing by SFCC, so on my way back to the parking lot via the trail, I missed a turn and ended up all the way on the other side of SFCC. The team coaches and mentors looked at me strangely as I came running from the other side of the lot to the water station at the end of my run. This confusion added another 10+ minutes and probably close to 1.5 miles to my run.

*** I realize that "very early" is not 6:30 a.m. for many people, but I am NOT a morning person.

No comments: