Monday, July 28, 2008

The Recovery Run (Run 56)

Sundays in my training schedule are reserved for "recovery runs." Basically, short runs that follow more intense training runs (Saturdays are always long runs) to loosen up your muscles to prepare for a rest day (today). I think of it as "active rest."

Last night, I did my recovery run just before 9 p.m. The sun had gone down, but it wasn't completely dark yet. The feeling of running in the almost darkness, while people prepared for their Monday mornings and work weeks was empowering. It reminded me to be thankful for my legs that have allowed me to follow up an almost 8-mile run on Saturday afternoon with an easy three-miler (with a few light hills). As a female, it's so easy to get caught up in your insecurities and perceived and actual physical flaws. It's easy to think "my thighs could be smaller" or "my calves could be more shapely." It's hard to remember that having legs and having the ability to run (even walk) are gifts, which are easy to take for granted.

I have put over 170 miles on my feet, calves, thighs, hips, etc. since I started training. They haven't let me down (aside from a little pain). I still crave more speed, but I know that will come with time. Right now, I'm thankful for this rest day.

No comments: